Last week at my daughter's swimming lessons, her swimsuit was so perished she was pulling at them and they were filling with air looking like she had a huge tummy. The other little girls in the class thought this was hilarious! As for me...embarrassed that I continued to let her swim in them! So before the next class I got busy and made here these.
The pattern is from Ottobre Design - Summer 3/2009 edition. My mum bought me a couple of these magazine's early on to get me interested in sewing. I haven't made much from them, but the swimsuit has turned out well, and I've made it 3 times now. I still have so much of this floral lycra left, I think I can still get another 2 swimsuits out of it!! Poor thing, she'll be sporting these flowers for years, hahaha!
I changed to the original design slightly by adding the frill through the chest, a layer of lycra and tulle, on a slight curve. I also made single straps over the shoulders, instead of the ties. So much easier putting them on and not having to worry about the bows!