My daughter is off to the same 'bug' party...but I have wanted to sew these bird wings since I saw them on Probably Actually and in the Burda Style magazine 01/2013. So she's not exactly a bug, but kind of close enough....
I was lucky enough to have everything required for this costume in my ever increasing stash of sewing supplies. The polk-a-dot material was actually left over from a matching set of pajama's I made the kids last summer. It made cutting the curves so easy because I cut around the dots. If I didn't have that, they would of taken forever!!
For the headpiece, I ironed on some heavy duty interfacing so that it would stand up like a crown. And I didn't have any spare feathers, so I had to rip these off a previous craft project....hope they don't notice...and don't mind when they do!