I splurged for my Christmas day dress. I do love it when people notice that I made an item of clothing, but at the same time, I don't want to be wearing things that look handmade. Material choice definately has a role to play in this. So I went to an expensive fabric store to find the perfect patterned silk fabric for this dress. The pattern is from the BurdaStyle magazine - edition 2/2013, dress #103. I have made this dress before in cotton and it does create a bit of an a-line dress in the stiffer material, but in the silk it just flows lovely. It is labelled at 1½ stars - easy to sew with simple features and I agree, there isn't too much too it.
The hardest part is creating the back slit into the neckline. I finished it and was ironing down the binding and you wouldn't believe it...I ironed a whole into the dress. I was so upset!!! So I had to cut-out the hole from the back of the dress and do some adjusting and additional sewing to still make the dress work. I had only bought 1m, so I didn't have any fabric left over at all. Somehow it worked - the Christmas angel was obviously looking out for me. The other thing was that the neckline was too tight, so instead of doing up with a little button at the back of the neck, I continued the neck binding on and created a tie instead. I really loved this feature and it felt alot better on.
Last but not least, I added a little sparkle all over the front of the dress with stick on diamontes. It gave the dress some shine and I loved the result.